Sunday, August 28, 2011

Next stop...Lake Powell - take 1

We spent the next day getting ready to go to the best place on earth! Lake Powell. We were able to stop in Gunnison and introduce Lincoln to Great Grandma Nielsen on the way down. We were planning on meeting Craig and family down at Lake Powell, but we got an early morning phone call, informing us that they had run over some rebar or metal rod and it actually lodged in the gas tank so they were going to be a bit delayed. Fortunately it was only a few miles from home so they were able to make some car switches and continue. 1st bullet missed...next incident. Once we arrived at Powell we were having trouble with one of the Sea doo's so all the men were working on getting it started. Well long story short a 6 foot fireball gave grandpa a hair cut and some serious burns on his hands. It was super scary, but I can say 2nd bullet missed...we were very blessed this was all that happened. We finally got our selves settled on a beach and began our fun week of sun, water, fun and play, play, play. Here are the pictures to document.

Great Grandma Nielsen with the kids
Lincoln and Great Grandma Nielsen
7/26
Kevin and his "other woman"

Fun with Daddy off the back deck
Free falling Josie
Relaxing on the back- critiquing the diving, cannon balls, flips, etc...
Nice form!

I am sad we don't have any pictures of this other really cool hike we went on. Jen, Chris, Kevin and I took the Sea doo's out to the channel and up this really neat slot canyon. We hiked for a good 1/2 hour way up there. It was one of the more memorable hikes I remember doing at Powell. We creeped/clawed/jumped and squeezed through some tight stuff. I will note that the boys left Jen and me at the mouth thinking we wouldn't follow, but we showed them!
7/27
Not my best side, but I thought it was a cool angle-we are jumping off the top of the house boat
My flipping fish-he later accomplished the back flip
Thought I would document my craziness as I am aging by the second.
The two who ran the ship...buddies!
Lincoln and Josie
Conor officially mastered the water skiing this year! I was so proud of him. I actually had to fight with him for water time. (I am not complaining)
This is where Kevin spent a lot of this trip. We decided he should start a little sea-doo repair shop in Spokane. He has the magic touch.
7/28
Today brought the arrival of Blake, Austin and Matthew. Conor couldn't have been happier. He had so much fun with his boy cousins.
Cool arch we hiked to from our camp


cliff jumping Josie
Matt, Conor and Blake
Josie finally discovered her love at Lake Powell, tubing! Melissa and I tricked her into going, but she got over her anger really quickly.

7/29
All the Nielsen Grandsons
Annual Kellogg family portrait at Lake Powell
Lincoln and Mom taking a swim
Conor and Matthew...doing the trick water skiing
Ahh...smooth water+good ski+good boat+good health = FABULOUS ski run


Bullet 3 was missed when the boat trailer tire threw a tread, then after a spare was put on the axel locked up and did some serious damage to the trailer. Somehow we limped home no worse for the wear. What a great trip!

2 comments:

The Witt Family said...

love the pics - wish I could have been there!

Rachael said...

I've forgoten what a major water skier fan you are. Looks like you guys all had a wonderful time. And I think you should use your family Lake Powell picture for the holidays - everyone looks great!