Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring Break 2013 - Day 1 and 2

Spring break at our house spells St. George! Time for us to hit the road and head south. Since the Witt family spring break was one week ahead of ours we decided to modify ours and pull the kids out a week early so we could meet them in St. George. Craig happened to purchase a beautiful, gigantic truck up here in Kellogg Idaho and needed it driven down to Boise. Since we were headed in that general direction we agreed to caravan to Boise. Our plan was to leave Thursday and head straight to Boise, Kevin drive the big truck and I drive the van. Good plan right? Unfortunately, we had to drive through an awful snow storm, I am talking slippery and so much flying snow you could hardly tell which way is up or down. I honestly don't remember the last time I had to drive in such awful weather. It was late, my windshield wipers sucked and I was trying to keep up with my crazy husband in this invincible truck. I was almost in tears. At one point we were talking on the phone and I kept falling behind him, I was complaining I couldn't see anything and begging to pull over-not a good option because of the semi trucks and location etc... Kevin's plan was for him to slow down, and me get as close to him as I could so I could see his tail lights and follow him, regardless of me being able to see clearly. So SCARY. I probably drove over 40 miles blindly following blurry red lights, not something I recommend. I was so tensed up, that the next day I had sore muscles. That was certainly not what I signed up for. We finally made it in to Boise, slept in a hotel for a few hours then headed to Jen and Chris's house to drop off the truck and meet their new baby Paisley! Meeting Paisley was a huge perk of the Boise detour, she was so adorable and sweet and I enjoyed holding her so much. Thank you Jen. After a short visit, it was back into the van to drive the rest of the way to St. George. We got there early evening, with enough time to let the kids run around the playground and get out some energy.
Kellogg and Lohner families
The kids wanted to hit the swimming pool the moment we pulled in, but promises of first thing in the morning appeased them. So, we spent the majority of the morning at the pool, then it was time for the real fun, MOUNTAIN BIKING. We headed out to the bear claw poppy trail and decided to take the Green valley loop. It had a bit of traffic on it, but we had a great time. We were headed back and got bogged down behind some bikers going up a hill. They stopped suddenly and Kevin had been right on his rear tire, he went to put his foot down to stop and was so close to the edge that there was no where to put his foot so he went tumbling over this ledge. I watched the whole thing, it was almost in slow motion. He rolled 2 or 3 times holding on to his bike. It sounds worse then it was....the dirt was soft, but the angle was weird so he kept sliding. He jumped right up and climbed out, and he was not happy. The chain ring had taken a bite out of his leg. We rode out, then Kevin drove himself to the instacare for some stitches.

Who knew milk jugs were such great pool toys?
Right at the top of the 3 fingers of death

No swimming for Kevin-I think he was secretly glad

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so sorry about your snowy drive on the way down. Isn't it interesting to have grown up in such a snow-packed area and we still get nervous driving through bad snowstorms.

And we love the Bear Claw Poppy Trail - I'm sorry to hear about Kevin's fall. Sounds like you handled it so well. I would have been in a big panic. Glad he's okay.