Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Knee update

Today marks 6 weeks out from my surgery. I wish I could say I am good as new. Sadly I am far from it. I am still feeling a lot of pain, I have minimal movement and the worst part is the almost protruding pins. As you can see in the pictures. I still have severe swelling, especially once I start walking on it, so basically as soon as I get out of bed. This definitely inhibits motion and we are thinking it is a result of the irritation from the wire and pins. So bummed!




Good news is that I am brace free. I am slowly rebuilding my strength in my quad and...drum roll please, I went back to the gym on Monday and swam almost 3/4 of a mile and didn't drown. Thank heavens for lap swimming. That time in the pool may help me keep my sanity as I wait this out. Last I heard the Dr. didn't want to take the hardware out until 6 months out, but I am going to really push for sooner. The other crazy thing which I think belongs in bad news is this sedentary lifestyle for me has ended up in a 10 pound loss. I don't really have 10 pounds to lose and I can only deduct that all my hard work for triathlon training has melted away in 10 pounds of lost muscle. Grrr.. just typing this depresses me. I will be back I promise!

2 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

I have to tell you that at first glance I thought that was some pregnant lady's belly button. Then I looked closer and realized it was your knee. Oops! Can you ever forgive me? I hope your pain goes away quickly. And I can't believe Lincoln is 1 already. Wow! Love all your new posts.

Rachael said...

Sorry to hear Julie. If they keep you on the swimming routine, try investing in a waterproof MP3 player. The cost isn't bad if you go the iShuffle route. I can hardly swim now without one.