Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 5

I had to go running in the rain this morning.  I figured there are worse things I could have been doing, and I didn't mind it one bit.  When Kevin arrived we headed north so we could "participate" in history.  The surf was being recorded at the highest it has been in a decade.  The waves were 50 to 60 feet at Jaws.  Professional surfers were coming from all over the world to surf these waves, and all of Maui was headed out to watch and we were joining them.  It was pretty crazy how many people were there, we parked out car way out on the road and walked a good mile in.  The cars that did venture down had to deal with tons of walkers and narrow roads and places were so tight that cars couldn't pass each other, and then there were crazy jam ups.  Once we got there, we had to elbow for position and I was wishing I was a lot taller so I could see over some trees and people's heads.  Jaws did not disappoint though.  The waves were INCREDIBLE!  We saw a few surfers, but our favorite part was this helicopter that came in and did some crazy stunts.  The size and power of the waves were just amazing.

After we had our fill of Jaws, we headed back to Secret beach to catch our sunset.  We got there just in time to crash a wedding.  Ironically this is one of 3 weddings we witnessed this trip.  We just tiptoed past the ceremony and settled in the sand to soak in the view. 
-Our view as we were walking into see Jaws
-Some cool surfer on a Jaws wave.  The helicopter is filming.
These waves reminded me of Niagara falls
-Another surfer
-This helicopter pilot was crazy in my book.  He was tempting fate it seemed.


-I just couldn't resist this picture of the surf
-Our wedding crashing picture
-Looking back on to Secret beach-the beach is just to the left
-Sunset on Day 5

No comments: